Saturday, February 12, 2011

Phyllis Journal #2

Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Breakfast – on the bike, meeting for Globalization. I am really enjoying the class. Had meeting for our Olympics. We are having another rehearsal today for our songs and cheers that we are going to do. Today Carol and I filled out all papers we need to go to the various countries that we are going to see. It took us about 2 hours and then I had to do one over as I made mistakes on it the first time. It was a busy day.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 Ground Hog Day
Breakfast – water does not taste as salty but I’m still buying bottled water. We hear today there is a big storm around the Chicago area. We had opening ceremonies last night for Olympics. It was really fun and some of the people are so creative. It was really noisy. These students can really yell loud. It wasn’t over until about 11:00 and then we had to set the clock ahead an hour so it was about 12:00 when we went to bed. Tomorrow are the games. I am in the tug of war contest.

Thursday, February 3, 2011
Today is the day for the Olympic games. First was the swimming. That was really funny from our team. Then there was card houses, trivia, wheel barrow races, basketball, tug of war, (I was in that one), spoon with ball in it, dress a person with things from people on the ship (like a treasure hunt), hula hoop, also several others. At 5:30 we had a barbecue dinner - hot dogs, hamburgers, ribs, baked beans, cold slaw, fruit and vegetable salads. For dessert chocolate ice cream and chocolate sauce. Delicious! Then at 8:00 we had closing ceremonies and reading of winners. The Red Sea won to get off ship in San Diego first when we get home. Anyway it was a fun and loud and exciting day. Our name was the “Sea Salts”.






This was our song:

My bonnie new friends on the ocean
Are traveling to many new lands
Of classes and food there is plenty.
The students and teachers are grand

Bring on! Bring on!
Sights and adventures on land and sea!
Sing on! Sing on!
Life learner “Sea Salts” are we!

Are we winners?
Well I guess!
Sea Salts! Sea Salts!
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Friday, February 4, 2011
We are all tired today from the Olympics yesterday. I did go on the bike this morning and then to global class. This morning it was on going into Ghana. One speaker told about the history. Another told of the music they have and how it came about. They speak English as they were controlled by English colonies for many years. Last night we watched a movie on TV about this music. We have been losing 1 hour each day as we are going. Three time zones.

Saturday, February 5, 2011
Today Linda, Jean, Carol and I are going to wear our sister shirts. Tomorrow we get off the ship. This will be first time in ten days. We will be in Ghana port for five days. Today I got my hair done. The girl I had is from Cape Town, South Africa. She did a nice job. At 2:30 Jean, Carol, Linda and I played hand and foot. I am trying to learn to count the cards for scoring and Linda is learning the game. I have read about six books since being on this voyage. Then at 4:30 we had a meeting on Ghana. After that I had a beer and some snack (gold fish). That really filled me up so I did not eat dinner last night. Then at 7:30 we all had a meeting explaining what time to meet on pier tomorrow for various trips. We also got green sheet which explains all trips and what time and emergency numbers in case you need them. We cannot eat with left hand while we are in Ghana so that may be a problem as I am left handed. Should be interesting day. We are going on Twin City orientation. More tomorrow. Happy Birthday to Jodi today and Charlie tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Phyl!!! I am finally getting on the blog to read about your interesting adventures. Sorry it took me so long! Winter is going by so quickly here. Thanks so much of the bday greeting. Was wondering what you meant by "We cannot eat with left hand while we are in Ghana so that may be a problem as I am left handed." Why can't you eat with your left hand? I can understand how much of a challenge that would be!

    ReplyDelete